Source: adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Family cookbook
1 9" whole wheat pie crust - I get the Whole Foods brand
1 cup of whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup of cubed pancetta or 4 strips of bacon
1 tbsp of chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 cup of chopped red onions
1 cup grated cheese - I used a mix of Manchego and Gouda
- Prick the pie crust's base and sides with a fork. Partially bake it in the oven for 10 mins at 375 deg. In the meantine, heat 1 tsp of oil in a non stick pan, add bacon or pancetta pieces and cook until the bits begin to brown and the fat melts. Drain out a bit of fat if its too much - now add onions and cook until they are browned.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, milk, cream, salt, pepper and thyme together.
- Layer cheese at the bottom, followed by the onion-pancetta mix in the pie crust. Place the pie in the oven and a minute later without removing the pie from the oven, pour the egg mix until it reaches a 1/2" below the top of the pie.
- Bake for 40-50 mins until it is slightly browned on the top. Be careful to not overcook.
- I served this with a side of Kale with potatoes and anchovies.
Good to know: the reason we leave the pie crust in the oven while pouring in the egg mix is so that the egg mix begins to set as soon as it is poured thus preventing the crust from becoming soggy.