1 pack of frozen shrimp, I leave the shell on while cooking because I feel like it might keep it from overcooking BUT it does get a bit cumbersome to eat.
2 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsps mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
50gm of dessicated coconut, add 1/4 cup of water and set aside
1.5 inch piece of ginger
5-6 small cloves of garlic
2-3 green chillies
1 onion, cubed
2 tsps coriander powder
2 tsps cumin powder
1-1.5 tsps crushed red chillies
1 15oz can of crushed tomatoes
juice of 1/2 lime
coriander leaves to garnish
salt to taste
- Toast poppy seeds for a couple of mins. Grind poppy seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric, coconut, ginger, garlic, green chillies, onion, coriander, cumin, crushed red chillies, and 1.5 tsp of salt with 1/2 cup of water.
- In a skillet, heat some oil and fry the spice paste for 6-7 mins. Stir continuously and add a little water to avoid sticking at the bottom.
- Add tomatoes and saute for another 5 mins.
- Add a couple of cups of water and lime juice. Simmer for 5 mins on low heat. Add salt to taste.
- Add shrimp and keep a close eye. Cook until done - shouldn't take more than 5 mins to cook through. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.