1 lb ground meat - I used mutton
3 large pototoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2" pieces
1 large yellow onion, cubed into 1/2" pieces
1 cup string beans, chopped in 1 inch pieces
1 cup of carrots chopped into 1/4" pieces
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1 tsp crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsps of butter
2 tsps fresh thyme
1 tbsp of fresh cream
- Steam cubed potatoes until they are cooked through. Mash them with cream, salt, pepper and thyme . I used my food processor.
- Preheat oven to 375 deg.
- Heat some oil in an oven safe pot. Saute onions and garlic with salt until they are slightly browned and translucent.
- Add carrots and beans and cook for 5 more mins.
- Add the meat, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Cook until the meat is brown. Add 2 tbsps of water if the meat mix is completely dry.
- Turn off the heat and layer the mashed potatoes over the meat and onions. Bake in the oven for 20 mins or until the top layer is golden-brown.
- Garnish with fresh thyme. I served this with a side of sauteed chard.
Note: Consider adding peas to this recipe as well. I didn't have any on hand.