6 chicken drumsticks, skinned
5 cups of water
Bouquet garni - small bunch of parsley, 5-6 sprigs of thyme and 2 sprigs of rosemary
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
8-9 shallots sliced
3 bay leaves
5-6 whole peppercorns
1 tbsp of flour
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
- Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper. Heat a couple of tbsps of oil in a soup pot and add the chicken. Let the chicken brown until it comes off the pot easily and let it brown on the other side as well. Set aside.
- Add shallots to the oil and cook until wilted and translucent. Add some salt to help with the wilting.
- Add garlic cloves and flour. Stir quickly for less than a minute and add 1/2 of water. Scrape the bottom the pot with a wooden spoon to remove brown bits.
- Now add the rest of the water, bouquet garni, bayleaves and peppercorns.
- Allow the water to come to a quick simmer. Add chicken legs. Bring to a boil, add salt, lower the heat, cover and cook for 35 mins until the chicken is done.
- When done, remove the bouquet garni and bay leaves. Squeeze some lemon juice into it before serving.