1 cup pinto beans, soaked overnight
2 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced
4-5 whole peppercorns
1 can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
1 1/2 cup of diced red onion
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 sliced thai chillies or green finger peppers
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
Salt to taste
- Pressure cook pinto beans, 1 tsp of salt and peppercorns in 4 cups of water for 20 mins. Cook until beans are easily mashable with a wooden spoon.
- While the beans are cooking, heat a tbsp of olive oil in another pot. Add onion, garlic and cumin seeds. Cook over medium heat until onions are evenly browned.
- Add tomatoes, salt and chillies. Cook until half of the tomato juice has been cooked off. While cooking, keep crushing tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Add cooked the contents of the pressure cooker into this onion-tomato mix. Simmer for 5 mins.
- In a small cup, combine flour with 4 tbsps of the liquid from the pot. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Add the flour paste and lime juice to the soup. Simmer for another 15 mins until the soup has thickened into a more sauce like consistency and the flour is completely cooked.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. As you can see I didn't bother to garnish or take a better picture before I dove right in :)