1 medium onion, chopped
1 can diced fire roasted tomato
2 can cooked red beans
1/2 winter squash
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed, leave it whole
1/2 ancho chilli
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
salt to taste
3-4 whole peppercorns
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. Halve a winter squash and scoop out the seeds. Season each half with salt and pepper. Cover each half completely with aluminum foil and place it cut side down in a baking dish. Roast for 20 mins or until it's easy to insert a knife through.
- Let cool and scoop out the flesh. Use half for this recipe and save the rest for another recipe later (this freezes well).
- In a pot, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add cumin seeds and half a minute later add onions and peppercorns.
- Cook until onions are translucent. Add garlic, tomatoes, ancho chilli, salt, ground coriander and roasted winter squash. Cook for 10 mins until tomatoes are cooked.
- Add red beans, give it a stir to heat through.
- Process contents in a food processor until its lightly blended. I liked this soup a little chunky.
- Garnish with toasted sliced almonds and fresh coriander.