For crepes - from America's Test Kitchen family cookbook
Makes 4 crepes
1/2 cup whole milk - I used low fat milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg
3 tbsps water
1 1/2 tbsps unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
- Blend all the ingredients. Cover and refridgerate for 2 hours.
- Stir the mixture if it has seperated.
- Smooth some butter on a 10" pan over medium heat.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter on the pan and tilt it quickly to cover the base and spread it.
- Flip the crepe when light brown on one side - about 30 seconds. Cook for another 30 seconds on the other side.
For the filling - V improvised this on the flyServes 3
3 marguez lamb sausages - V substituted one with Andouille sausage, chopped into bite size pieces. Sausages were spiced with fennel, cumin and red chilli.
1 onion, sliced
1 red pepper sliced into strips
1/2 green pepper sliced into strips
1/4 cup chopped dried figs
2 tsp dried pomegranate seeds (anar-dana)
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil and fry the the sausages until brown. Drain some oil to leave about 1 tbsp. Add garlic, onions, green, red pepper, salt and cook until onions are dark brown.
- Add figs, pomegranate seeds and 1 tbsp of water. Cook for another 5 mins, until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Garnish with crumbled goat cheese and toasted pine nuts.