Recipe is from Aayi's recipes with some minor modifications
20-24 dates, seeds removed (I used a little more than the original recipe and reduced the sugar)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda (don't substitute with baking pwdr)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup walnuts
1. Place dates in a bowl with the milk and heat in microwave for about 1 1/2 mins. This is to soften the dates for easier blending.
2. Pour the dates and milk into a blender and add the sugar. Blend into a fine paste.
3. Take a large mixing bowl, add the date paste and add oil and mix well.
4. On a piece of newspaper, sift the all purpose flour with the baking soda. Add this flour to the mixing bowl a few spoons at a time and mix to incorporate.
5. Add nuts and mix all together.
6. Grease a round cake pan with butter and pour the mixture in. (I've seen it made in a loaf pan or any other baking pan)
7. Preheat oven to 350F and cook cake for 30 mins. I tested at 30 mins by inserting a knife in the center, and found it was done, even though the recipe calls for more baking time.
Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.