03 March 2011

Dressing your greens

Lately, I have been experimenting with different flavors of dressings in my salad. I really like two of the four I've tried so far and find myself going back to these often. I make a small amount, store it in an airtight glass jar and use when needed. A jar usually lasts about 4 days.

 
Source: America's Test Kitchen

Basic vinaigrette: makes about 1 cup
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsps red or white wine vinegar
2 tsps minced red onion (or shallot)
2 tsps Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsps minced fresh tarragon, dill, basil or oregano or 1/2 tsp dried
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp pepper

Variation: Balsamic vinaigrette
Substitute blasamic vinegar for the wine vinegar and use oregano. Reduce garlic to 1/2 clove.

Lemon vinaigrette
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
3 tbsps fresh lemon juice
2 tsps minced red onion
2 tsps dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsps minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Shake all the ingredients in a jar with a tight lid.

No comments: