Source: America's Test Kitchen Family cookbook
8 slices white bread - I used sourdough bread
4 tbsps of butter
1 cup milk
1 large egg
2 tbsps sugar
2 tsps vanilla essence
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Maple syrup - I used grade B syrup for a more mapley flavor
- Toast bread on a medium setting 3-4 to get the bread slightly browned, crunchy and dry.
- Whisk 2 tbsps of melted butter, milk, egg, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Pour the batter in a larger shallow dish.
- Soak both sides of the toasted bread in this mixture for 30sec each side.
- Heat a 12 inch non-stick pan on medium high heat with a tbsp of butter. Remember you never want a non-stick pan to start smoking.
- Place the soaked slice of bread in the pan and cook until its golden brown on both side. About 2 1/2 minutes per side.
- While doing the rest of the slices, store the cooked slices in the oven at 200 deg to keep warm.
- Generously pour maple syrup on slices before serving. Garnish with chopped, toasted nuts.