Here's a quick Chicken Fry recipe that has been made famous by my friend's husband -G. G is a fantastic cook, and I don't know anyone else who can make this recipe as awesome as it is.
- Onions - red - 1.5 finely chopped
- Green chillies - 10 finely chopped (reduce number if you prefer the dish to be less spicy)
- Oil - 2 swirls of the pan
- Greek Yoghurt - 2 tbs
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Chicken - 1 lb - bone in. Chopped into bite sized pieces
- Coriander pwd - 2 tbs
- Cumin pwd - 2 tbs
- Chilli pwd - 1 tbs
- Turmeric pwd - 1/2 tsp
- Tandoori Chicken Masala - 1 tsp
- Ginger - Garlic paste - 2 tbs
- Salt to taste
Mix all the items under "To Marinate" section and marinate for a couple of hours. Do not add yoghurt at this step.
The secret behind this recipe is the size of the pan - use the WIDEST pan you have, even if you have to place it on multiple burners. The wider the pan, the crispier the chicken!
In your widest pan, heat oil and then saute onions and chillies until they are browned.
Then add the marinated chicken, spread the chicken out so that the pan is not crowded. Individual pieces need to cook and slowly brown - this will take some time
Add the greek yoghurt half way thru to add some body to the gravy. Then continue to let the chicken pieces brown.
Once you see them cooked through and look brownish/crispy-ish like in the picture, you are done!
Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice/rotis!