I adjusted the original Michael Chiarello recipe to suit my taste. I love that it's green, healthy and delicious!
· Broccoli – 1 pound
· EVOO – a couple of tablespoons
· Fresh Garlic – minced – 2 tbsp
· Onion – diced – 1 cup
· Freshly ground black pepper – 2 tsp
· Fresh thyme leaves - finely chopped - 2 tsp
· Fresh spinach – 2 cups packed
· Chicken stock/broth (low sodium) – 4 cups
· Freshly grated lemon zest – 2 tbsCut the broccoli florets from the stems. Cut the stems lengthwise into slices.
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot until hot. Add the garlic and onion, and stir until light brown - about 5 minutes
Add the thyme and stir. Add the broccoli stems, stock, and salt and pepper, to taste, and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered until tender, about 10 minutes
Now add the broccoli florets and continue to cook until very tender, about 5 minutes more.
Turn off the heat, add the spinach, and let wilt.
Add lemon zest, and puree the soup in a blender in small batches.
The soup can be made to this point, covered, and refrigerated for up to 1 day or frozen for up to 1 month. I have some frozen to use on days I don't feel like cooking!
Return the soup to the pan and reheat over gentle heat. Stir in the cream if needed (I did not). Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Serve warm. Enjoy!Note - The fresh lemon zest is a wonderful flavor surprise...don't leave it out!