- Indian Eggplants/Brinjal/Aubergine (the small purple ones) - about 10 - cubed. Tip - as you are cubing the eggplants, immerse the cubed pieces in a bowl of salted water. This prevents them from browning & turning bitter. Just drain and add to the wok when ready to cook.
- Turmeric/Haldi pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Jeera/Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Dry Red chillies - 2 - broken
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Fresh lime/lemon Juice - 1 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/2 cup
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Green Chillies - 3-5
When the jeera browns, add the cubed eggplants, haldi and salt. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes.
Once the eggplants are about 3/4th the way cooked, add the rough ground mixture of cilantro, ginger and green chillies. Stir thoroughly.
Cook uncovered for another 5 minutes until the eggplants are fully cooked through. Don't over cook the eggplant at any stage - you don't want this to be too soft/mushy.
Once cooked, take off the stove and add some fresh lime/lemon juice.
Serve hot with roti/rice. Enjoy! :) You can also use the same spice mixture with other veggies.